Asthma Ratio and Rates.
In Week 4, you will continue to assume the role of the public health informatician and use your pre-intervention asthma surveillance data set from the CDC to calculate risk/odds ratios and prevalence/incidence rates. Review the data set from a population perspective and calculate various population ratios and rates for the asthma data in your Excel spreadsheet. You will then answer the following questions in a short application paper of 3â€“4-pages, explaining your results. You may refer to the suggested readings for this week.
Ratios and Rate Questions
[Note: School populations: Asthma elementary student count in this study is 800 for this school year. School’s population (A + B + C + D) = 7,200 students for this school year.]
- Does one school have a higher number of students with asthma?
- Which school has the highest number of students with wheezing?
- How many students had both asthma and wheezing?
- If you have asthma, what are the odds that you also have wheezing?
- Is the odds ratio for bronchitis and RAD lower or higher than asthma and wheezing?
- How many children with wheezing were prescribed medication? From those results, what is the risk ratio?
- Is the risk ratio for being prescribed medication for asthma higher or lower than being prescribed medication for wheezing?
- Are the risk ratios for asthma and wheezing higher for children under the age of 10 than they are for the survey population as a whole?
- What is the student asthma prevalence for the school district, i.e., A, B, C, D based on total student population as shown above?
- What is the student asthma incident rate for the school district, i.e., A, B, C, D based on total student population as shown above?
In a summary, provide your interpretation of what your statistical ratio and rate calculations results demonstrate about this grade school population of studentsâ€™ asthma risk and odds ratios, prevalence, and incidence rates. Explain how you may use this data in supporting the need and development of a public health asthma prevention program. You may use the prevalence resources in the links provided for your summary response.
- Give reasons and examples in support of your responses. Cite all sources using APA format.
- Submit a 3â€“4-page paper in a Microsoft Word document to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned.