In this Work Product Assessment, you will apply concepts of leadership, systems thinking, and change management to an actual change process within an organization known to you. This change could be in response to a challenge in the marketplace, or it could be a critical project. You will develop an Organizational Leadership Development Report, analyzing leadership strengths and potential gaps, and a Change Management Proposal for initiating this change and evaluating success.
To complete this Assessment:
- Download the Academic Writing Expectations Checklist to use as a guide when completing your Assessment. Responses that do not meet the expectations of scholarly writing will be returned without scoring. Properly formatted APA citations and references must be provided, where appropriate.
- Be sure to use scholarly academic resources as specified in the rubric. This means using Walden Library databases to obtain peer reviewed articles. Additionally, .gov (government expert sources) are a quality resource option. Note: Internet and .com sources do not meet this requirement. Contact your coach or SME for guidance on using Library Databases.
- Carefully review the rubric for the Assessment as part of your preparation to complete your Assessment work.
Before submitting your Assessment, carefully review the rubric. This is the same rubric the assessor will use to evaluate your submission and it provides detailed criteria describing how to achieve or master the Competency. Many students find that understanding the requirements of the Assessment and the rubric criteria help them direct their focus and use their time most productively.
Access the following to complete this Assessment:
- Use the APA course paper template available here.
This Assessment requires submission of one (1) document that includes both parts of the assessment. Save your document as HR006_firstinitial_lastname (for example, HR006_J_Smith).
When you are ready to upload your completed Assessment, use the Assessment tab on the top navigation menu.
You will prepare an organizational leadership development report and change management proposal that plans the implementation of organizational change.
This assessment has two-parts. Click each of the items below to complete this assessment.
- To begin this Assessment, select a healthcare organization with which you are very familiar and where you have access to information necessary to complete the Assessment. Identify a specific change that is being implemented now or one that has been recently implemented (within the year).
- Because effective leadership is critical to successfully planning and managing organizational change, you will conduct a confidential evaluation and analysis of specific leadership traits and factors that leaders implementing the change possess and use. Effective leadership involves collaborating with individuals but also participating in and facilitating teams. Thus, assessment of team skills needs to be a part of your evaluation and analysis.
- Create an Organizational Leadership Evaluation Report by adapting a template you find through online research, one you have created on your own, or one provided through your organization. (Be sure to remove any branding that might identify your organization.) Your Organizational Evaluation Report should include the following:
- Observations of the leadership team implementing the change in your chosen organization and an analysis of their actions and behaviors for leadership traits that promote success in effecting change in the organization. List these traits and explain your analysis process.
- Evaluation of leadership traits that could promote a culture for creativity and innovation in the workplace. Discuss whether these traits are exhibited by any of the leaders implementing the change in your chosen organization. Explain how you assessed ability to be creative and innovative. Compare how these traits differ from and/or the same as those of classical leadership styles.
- Recommendations for specific strategies the leaders could apply for working successfully with teams and effecting change within the organization.
- The ability to manage and adapt to change is essential in healthcare organizations. Whether internally or externally prompted, the implementation of changes in the workplace environment has become commonplace. Because change, even changes that are perceived as positive, is almost always unsettling, it is crucial that administrators and managers understand the change process and plan carefully for its implementation. Innovative approaches to change management related to your chosen project might help you see possibilities that may not have been evident before. A Change Management Proposal will serve as the guide for effective execution of strategic change.
- Create a Change Management Proposal in the format of your choice, e.g., slide presentation or Word document (including graphs or charts) as follows:
- Describe the specific organization including size, mission, location and the change that is taking place (or is scheduled to take place) in the organization
- Given the parameters of the change, describe the resistance you might expect, and why.
- Evaluate change management theories and models and select one to apply to the change occurring in the organization. Provide rationale for why you selected this theory or model.
- Apply systems thinking to address the impact of the change throughout the organization.
- Recommend strategies and innovations that could be implemented to effect the organizational change and provide rationale for the recommendations.
- Explain the role that communication will play in your plan. Analyze how communication could be used to handle concerns and doubts of stakeholders.
- Recommend strategies you will use to motivate stakeholders and prepare them to accept, embrace, and sustain the change.
- Recommend strategies for sustaining an organizational change and explain why they would be successful.
- Recommend ways to measure the success of the organizational change and when transformational change has occurred.