In this Assessment, you will complete the SWOT Analysis Template provided and make recommendations for creative strategies based on the SWOT analysis.
- Use the APA course paper template available here.
- Download the Writing Checklist to review prior to submitting your Assessment.
This Assessment requires submission of one (1) document that includes your responses to both Parts. Save this file as FM009_firstinitial_lastname (for example, FM009_J_Smith).
When you are ready to upload your completed Assessment, use the Assessment tab on the top navigation menu.
Before submitting your Assessment, carefully review the rubric. This is the same rubric the assessor will use to evaluate your submission and it provides detailed criteria describing how to achieve or master the Competency. Many students find that understanding the requirements of the Assessment and the rubric criteria help them direct their focus and use their time most productively.
Access the following to complete this Assessment:
This assessment has two-parts. Click each of the items below to complete this assessment.
Academic Writing Expectations Checklist
The faculty Assessor will use this checklist to evaluate whether your written responses adhere to the conventions of scholarly writing. Review this checklist prior to submitting your Assessment to ensure your writing follows academic writing expectations. Click the links to access Writing Center resources:
Using punctuation appropriately Note: See the different types of punctuation and their uses.
Using grammar appropriately Note: See a Grammarly tutorial to catch further errors.
Using paragraph breaks Note: See a description of paragraph basics.
Focusing each paragraph on one central idea (rather than multiple ideas) Note: See an explanation of how topic sentences work.
Use of Evidence
Using resources appropriately Note: See examples of integrating evidence in a paper.
Citing and referencing resources accurately Note: See examples of citing and referencing resources in a paper.
Paraphrasing (explaining in oneâ€™s own words) to avoid plagiarizing the source Note: See paraphrasing strategies.
Formatting Written Assignments
SWOT Analysis Template
- Select a health care organization (for-profit or nonprofit) for which you will complete a SWOT analysis. This organization may be your own institution or another.
- Research multiple aspects of this organization, including its intended market, to gain valid and accurate information about its internal strengths and weaknesses (which are within the organizationâ€™s control), as well as external opportunities and threats. Depending on the organization you select, this information might be found in a variety of sources: business databases, journals, reports, the organizationâ€™s website, websites of professional organizations, and websites that rate health care facilities. You may also wish to reach out and interview several key people attached to that organization for additional insights. Research a variety of sources to best ensure a balanced, well-rounded, and comprehensive view of this organization
- As you conduct your research, identify:
- What does this organization do particularly well? Does it have a specific and recognized niche?
- What resources does the organization have that might set it apart from its competition or position it for future growth?
- What does the market perceive as strengths of the organization?
- What financial considerations are relevant to its strength?
- What needs improvement in the organization?
- What resource deficits might impact this organization?
- What does the market perceive as weaknesses of the organization?
- What financial considerations are relevant to weaknesses?
- With strengths and weaknesses in mind, what opportunities are available to this organization?
- Might any current trends translate to opportunities?
- What competitive threats exist for the organization?
- Do insufficient or outdated resources hamper the organization?
- Might any current trends translate to threats?
- Do any market, regulatory and or legal issues present threats?
- Complete a 1-page SWOT analysis matrix (using the template provided) that includes the following:
- Bulleted list of (a) strengths, (b) weaknesses, (c) opportunities, and (d) threats related to the health care organization selected
Note: Synthesize the information you have gathered in your research so that each bullet point clearly represents the most significant considerations within each category. While this is a 1-page document, and might appear to be deceptively simple, each point must be the result of deep and critical thinking.
- Carefully review the SWOT analysis, looking for synergies, leading business and market indicators, relationships, and connections between categories.
- Write a 4- to 6-page proposal that includes the following:
- A rationale for the choices you made in each of the four SWOT quadrants: strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats
- Why do you consider each bulleted point to be significant?
- Use a variety of academic and professional sources to support your findings.
- Creative strategic recommendations for the organization that align to information gained in the SWOT analysis
- This interpretation of information requires a demonstration of critical-thinking and problem-solving skillsâ€”skills required in authentic strategic planning.