Week 3Consumer Informatics/Telehealth Case Study
The purpose of this discussion is for you to investigate telehealth and technology relationships to social justice principles.
Case Study Scenario
Watch the following video.
Consumer Informatics/Telehealth Case Study (1:55)
Review the case scenario above and address the following:
1. Examine concepts such as equity, respect, self-determinism, health literacy, cyclic disadvantage, and healthcare disparities among marginalized populations or groups and how they affect patient outcomes.
2. Compare and contrast how each patient in the video may benefit from telehealth services and the ethical considerations from the viewpoint of the nurse.
3. Propose barriers that must be removed to achieve well-being, sufficiency, and healthcare access for all.
Please click on the following link to review the DNP Discussion Guidelines on the Student Resource Center program page:
This discussion enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
3. Design programs that monitor and evaluate outcomes of care, care systems, and quality improvement. (PO 7)
4. Evaluate the types of healthcare information systems, knowledge-based systems, and patient care technology and the impact on patient safety, quality of care, and outcome measurement. (PO 7)
5. Appraise consumer health information sources for accuracy, timeliness, and appropriateness. (PO 7)
6. Resolve ethical and legal issues related to the use of information, communication networks, and information and patient care technology. (PO 6)
Mr. Kasich is a 77-year old who was recently taken tothe emergency room after he fell when trying to get out of bed.There, he was found to have a blood glucose level of 35 milligrams perdeciliter and was diagnosed with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes mellitus andhypoglycemia despite many years of well-maintained the blood glucose levels.After further assessment, Mr.Kasich was transferred to a medical room in the hospital.His background includes diagnosed with type two diabetes mellitus,advanced congestive heart failure and lung cancer.Has Medicare parts A and B.Lives with wife in a remote area that is 40 miles from the closest healthcareprovider.Is proficient using his home computer.Mr. Lane is a 42-year old who was admitted for exacerbation of heart failure.His background includes has diabetes mellitus type two.Is a long-haul truck driver with a large trucking company.Is privately insured.Is single and primarily lives in his truck.Both Mr. Kasich and Mr. Lane are going home with telehealth consistingof a telemonitoring device that transmits weight, blood pressure,blood glucose levels and pulse oximetry to a remote telehealth nurse.Even though the use of telehealth does not often include hands on interaction,the goal of keeping patients out of a hospital is consistent withquality nursing practice.Telehealth applications are designed to enhance the patient experience andimprove clinical outcomes while providing care forpatients in their home environment rather than an institutional setting.Telehealth supports self-care by empowering patients,which is a central tenet of nursing practice.