This article covers Quality and Financial Aspects in Developing Nursing Evidence Based Practice Project
Sample Question – Quality and Financial Aspects in Developing Nursing Evidence Based Practice Project
After discussion with your mentor, name one financial aspect, one quality aspect, and one clinical aspect that need to be taken into account for developing the evidence-based practice project. Explain how your proposal will directly and indirectly impact each of the aspects.
Sample Answer – Quality and Financial Aspects in Developing Nursing Evidence Based Practice Project
Following consultation with my mentor regarding the implementation of the evidence based practice solution, three critical areas that need to be considered include financial, clinical and quality aspects. The evidence based practice solution to the problem of increased application of antipsychotics in the treatment of dementia involved application of non-pharmacological interventions in the treatment of behavioral and psychological symptoms including psychosis.(Quality and Financial Aspects in Developing Nursing Evidence Based Practice Project)
One financial aspect that need consideration in the developing the evidence based practice project is whether the evidence based solution would help in reducing the cost of healthcare services for the targeted population. Delivery of low cost but high quality healthcare services is one of the core objectives of nursing practice in the 21st century (Houser & Oman, 2012). The evidence based practice project is expected to reduce the cost of healthcare by minimizing the rates of readmission for patients with dementia and reducing medical costs associated with purchase of drugs. (Quality and Financial Aspects in Developing Nursing Evidence Based Practice Project)
In regards to quality consideration, it is important that the intervention helps in promoting the anticipated patient health outcomes, which include reducing mortality rate, promoting the patients quality of life and minimizing hospital readmissions among others indicators. In regards to the EBP project, the evidence based practice intervention would promote the quality of care by reducing the adverse health outcomes associated with the use of antipsychotics in treating patients with dementia, such as high mortality. Additionally, it would enhance patient satisfaction.(Quality and Financial Aspects in Developing Nursing Evidence Based Practice Project)
One clinical aspect that need consideration is the availability of healthcare staff, with relevant expertise and knowledge to facilitate the implementation of the evidence based solution both in the outpatient and inpatient setting. In the midst of the prevailing shortage of healthcare professionals in the healthcare system, it is important to consider the skill mix required for the successful implementation of the EBP solution, its availability and the implications on the workload of the healthcare professionals in an organization.(Quality and Financial Aspects in Developing Nursing Evidence Based Practice Project)
Houser, J., & Oman, K. (2012). Evidence based practice: An implementation guide for healthcare organizations. New York: Jones and Bartlett Learning.
What is quality improvement in evidence-based practice?
Improving the quality of evidence-based practice entails the methodical procedure of consistently evaluating and enhancing the quality of healthcare services or interventions, drawing from the best available evidence. It encompasses the utilization of data and research findings to pinpoint areas for potential enhancements in care, the implementation of alterations or interventions, and subsequent assessment of their effects on patient outcomes. This iterative process strives to optimize healthcare delivery, augment patient safety, and ensure that clinical practices align with the most up-to-date and efficacious evidence, ultimately leading to superior patient outcomes and experiences. Quality enhancement in evidence-based practice underscores a dynamic, data-centered strategy for healthcare enhancement.(Quality and Financial Aspects in Developing Nursing Evidence Based Practice Project)
What do quality improvement projects research and EBP have in common?
Improving the quality of healthcare services, conducting research, and implementing evidence-based practices all share a common goal of enhancing patient care and healthcare outcomes. These activities involve systematic approaches to assess and optimize healthcare procedures. Quality improvement initiatives focus on identifying and addressing areas needing enhancement within healthcare settings, often employing data-driven methodologies. Research involves systematic investigation of healthcare interventions and practices to create new knowledge. Evidence-based practice integrates the most reliable research evidence with clinical expertise and patient preferences to inform healthcare decisions, ensuring that practices are based on the latest research and best approaches for improving patient outcomes.(Quality and Financial Aspects in Developing Nursing Evidence Based Practice Project)
What are the four principles of quality research in EBP?
The four fundamental principles guiding research within the realm of Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) are as follows:
- Methodological Integrity: EBP research should adhere to meticulous and well-defined research methodologies, encompassing precise research designs, methodologies for data collection, and statistical analyses. This commitment ensures the validity and reliability of research findings.
- Pertinence: Research in the context of EBP should tackle pertinent questions and concerns that have relevance to the field of practice and the specific demographic it caters to. Priority should be given to subjects with practical implications in areas such as healthcare and other applicable domains.(Quality and Financial Aspects in Developing Nursing Evidence Based Practice Project)
- Transparency and Responsibility: Transparency in research necessitates comprehensive documentation of research methods, data origins, and the potential presence of any conflicts of interest. Responsibility encompasses the ethical standards that must be upheld and the ethical reporting of results to prevent any form of bias or misrepresentation.
- Applicability: EBP research should generate findings that are readily applicable to real-world scenarios. This involves considering the practicality of implementing research outcomes in clinical or practical settings to enhance decision-making and outcomes.
These principles collectively ensure the high quality of EBP research, making it a valuable resource for evidence-based decision-making across diverse fields, particularly in healthcare.
What are the elements used in evidence-based practice projects?
Creating evidence-based practice initiatives involves several core components:
- Research Insights: These projects heavily rely on up-to-date and pertinent research literature, encompassing peer-reviewed investigations and systematic evaluations, to underpin decision-making and practice. This data forms the bedrock for crafting recommendations and interventions.(Quality and Financial Aspects in Developing Nursing Evidence Based Practice Project)
- Clinical Proficiency: The expertise and experiential knowledge of healthcare practitioners play a pivotal role in deciphering and implementing research findings into practical scenarios. Their know-how assists in tailoring evidence to the unique needs of each patient or client.
- Patient/Client Desires and Principles: Giving due consideration to the distinct preferences and principles of patients or clients is imperative. These individual inclinations guide the selection of treatment options and ensure that care remains in harmony with their objectives and beliefs.
- Execution and Assessment: Evidence-based practice undertakings also involve the meticulous planning, execution, and assessment of interventions or alterations in practice. This cyclic process guarantees the efficacy and sustainability of the chosen strategies.(Quality and Financial Aspects in Developing Nursing Evidence Based Practice Project)
These elements synergistically promote the provision of top-tier, patient-centered care founded on the most reliable evidence and clinical competence.