Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders
Unit 16 Discussion – Reflection
Please respond to the following questions based upon these course objectives:
- Independently with mentor supervision, apply knowledge of chronic and acute psychiatric mental health disorders using the current edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders diagnostic criteria to assess, diagnose and manage the patient populations across the lifespan including a focus on vulnerable populations at risk for mental health disorders.(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
- Independently with mentor supervision, integrate complete mental health assessment, interview, history, and physical exam data collection with the knowledge of pathophysiology and psychopathology of psychiatric mental health disorders across the life span to form differential diagnoses and implement therapeutic, patient-centered treatment plans and interventions for patient populations across the lifespan.(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
- Independently with mentor supervision, merge traditional and complementary pharmacological/non-pharmaceutical interventions into the treatment and management of psychiatric mental health disorders for patient populations across the lifespan.(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
- Independently with mentor supervision, examine, evaluate, and demonstrate professional development in the role of the nurse practitioner in the diagnosis and management of health and wellness as well as acute and chronic psychiatric mental health disorders illnesses for patient populations across the lifespan as a member of an interprofessional team.
- Independently with mentor supervision, integrate cultural, spiritual, and social competencies into therapeutic patient-centered treatment plans in connection with evidence-based findings to the diagnosis and management of individuals, groups, and families across the lifespan with acute, complex, and chronic psychiatric mental health disorders.
- Independently with mentor supervision, analyze professional values and core ethical/legal standards into the practice of the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner role with relation to patient/staff safety, quality indicators, and health outcome improvement in the delivery of quality psychiatric mental health care to patients.
- Identifies with mentor supervision, the highest level of professionalism and accountability for the PMHNP role for transition into clinical practice.(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
Please answer the following questions with supporting examples and full explanations.
- For each of the learning objectives, provide an analysis of how the course supported each objective.
- Explain how the material learned in this course, based upon the objectives, will be applicable to the professional application.(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
Provide evidence (citations and references) to support your statements and opinions. Responses to these questions are due by Tuesdayat 11:59 AM.
All references and citations should in APA format.
There is no peer response required for this discussion, but feel free to discuss these topics with classmates.
Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example
One of this course’s most vital lessons was using the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) in assessing and diagnosing various mental health conditions, such as personality disorders. The manual provides reliable and accurate criteria that PMHNPs can use to diagnose acute and chronic conditions in patients, such as those with mental health and substance abuse problems (Hopwood, Mulay & Waugh, 2019). The knowledge of the revised DSM-5 criteria can be used in assessing and diagnosing psychosocial and environmental factors resulting in mental health complications in individuals and communities.(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
Integration of Mental Health Assessment
PMHNPs can develop various diagnoses and implement suitable treatment interventions by performing a complete patient mental assessment. One must learn to apply effective communication and data analysis to collect patient data through interviews and tests (Lima & Ivbijaro, 2019). Data analysis skills are essential in evaluating patients’ cognitive functioning and abilities in specific areas. Moreover, Lima and Ivbijaro (2019) explain that understanding mental health problems’ pathophysiology is crucial during the mental health assessment. The course helped one understand how PMHNPs can apply such knowledge in identifying distinct and specific aspects of a patient’s condition, leading to developing patient-centered care plans.(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
Traditional and Complementary Treatment
PMHNPs should be able to integrate traditional and complementary interventions into mental health treatment (Zingela, van Wyk & Pietersen, 2019). Traditional interventions are often used among chronically ill patients, such as herbal medications in depressed individuals. Consequently, the complementary interventions focus on specific symptoms of mental illness and involve utilizing natural products like vitamins and physical activities like yoga. Zingela, van Wyk and Pietersen (2019) observe that these cognitive treatment options are often incorporated to improve patient response and treatment outcomes. PMHNPs can apply knowledge about these interventions in ensuring patient safety during care since the treatment options may elicit adverse reactions, leading to poor results if not monitored.(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
Professional Development in Nurse Practitioner Roles
Kumar et al. (2020) explain that PMHNPs collaborate with other healthcare professionals like social workers to facilitate screening of potential mental illnesses to facilitate early detection and treatment. Besides, they collect patient data to aid in assessing their mental health conditions. For example, information about the patient’s reasoning and feelings can help identify mood disorders. Additionally, they also work with neurologists in diagnosing patients’ conditions to facilitate the provision of patient-centered treatment. Treatment for mental problems includes the administration of therapy and antipsychotic medications. (Kumar et al., 2020) Henceforth, knowledge about PMHNP roles can be applied in distinguishing various mental diseases, such as depression and mood disorders. These PMHNP roles are hinged on their professional development, allowing them to specialize in mental health care, such as health policy and evidence-based practice.(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
Cultural, Spiritual, and Social Competencies
PMHNPs should incorporate cultural, spiritual, and social competencies during patient care to improve the patient’s response to treatment processes (Caplan, 2019). The nurses should understand the patient’s norms, beliefs, languages, religion, and socio-economic status to help design appropriate coping resources. The nurses should incorporate these skills in the patient’s assessment and treatment plans (Caplan, 2019). For example, they can apply cultural competencies such as effective communication skills in collaborating with other health professionals and addressing patient needs, like beliefs. Some patients may disagree with a particular treatment since their spiritual beliefs abhor medication use. The course supported the understanding that for some patients, it is imperative to tailor treatment plans that merge traditional and complementary pharmacological/non-pharmaceutical interventions.(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
Professional Values and Legal/Ethical Standards
PMHNPs should depict professional values, such as altruism, integrity, social justice, autonomy, and honesty, when caring for patients. These values are essential to patient safety since they reduce medical errors and encourage quality improvement (Poorchangizi et al., 2019). They are also applied to quality indicators during inpatient and outpatient care. They also improve patient outcomes, like reducing pain and stress during aftercare. Poorchangizi et al. (2019) observe that knowledge about professional values and ethical and legal factors can help nurses effectively navigate the hurdles associated with the current healthcare system, such as caring for patients with substance abuse and mental illness disorders from various cultures and social spheres.(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
Professionalism and Accountability among PMHNPs
The nursing code of ethics requires PMHNPs to be answerable be responsible for their actions during patient care. The learning materials demonstrate that during the care transition, nurses should utilize protocols and procedures linked to clinical outcomes when providing care. Davis (2017) observes that PMHNPs must also expand their clinical skills and incorporate evidence-based findings in making nursing interventions. The knowledge of professionalism and accountability can be applied in caring for chronically ill patients by honoring their wishes and facilitating patient-based care among culturally diverse groups of patients.(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
Caplan, S. (2019). Intersection of cultural and religious beliefs about mental health: Latinos in the faith-based setting. Hispanic Health Care International, 17(1), 4–10. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1540415319828265
Davis, C. (2017). The importance of professional accountability. Nursing made incredibly easy, 15(6), 4. DOI: 10.1097/01.NME.0000525557.44656.04(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
Hopwood, C. J., Mulay, A. L., & Waugh, M. H. (2019). The DSM-5 Alternative Model for Personality Disorders: Integrating multiple paradigms of personality assessment. Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315205076
Kumar, A., Kearney, A., Hoskins, K., & Iyengar, A. (2020). The role of psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners in improving mental and behavioral health care delivery for children and adolescents in multiple settings. Archives of psychiatric nursing, 34(5), 275–280. DOI: 10.1016/j.apnu.2020.07.022(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
Lima, C. A. M. & Ivbijaro, G. (2019). Primary care mental health in older people: a global perspective. Cham Switzerland: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-10814-4(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)
Poorchangizi, B., Borhani, F., Abbaszadeh, A., Mirzaee, M., & Farokhzadian, J. (2019). The importance of professional values from nursing students’ perspective. BMC nursing, 18(1), 1-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12912-019-0351-1
Zingela, Z., van Wyk, S., & Pietersen, J. (2019). Use of traditional and alternative healers by psychiatric patients: A descriptive study in urban South Africa. Transcultural psychiatry, 56(1), 146-166. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1363461518794516(Chronic and Acute Psychiatric Mental Disorders Comprehensive Essay Example)