Week 3Professional Support and Collaboration
The purpose of this discussion is to identify and evaluate individuals who provided professional support and mentoring throughout your DNP program. These individuals may include your preceptor, mentor, course faculty, or others who assisted you in finding the right direction in your course work, practice change project, and practicum experience.
Reflect on your readings this week and respond to the following in 150 words or less:
- Identify 2-3 individuals who provided professional support, mentoring, or who helped guide you throughout your DNP degree program and/or during your DNP practice change project design, development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Evaluate the influence that intraprofessional or interprofessional collaboration with the individuals you identified had on your success in the DNP degree program.
Please click on the following link to review the DNP Discussion Guidelines on the Student Resource Center program page:
- Link (webpage): DNP Discussion GuidelinesLinks to an external site.
This discussion enables the student to meet the following program competencies:
- Integrates scientific underpinnings into everyday clinical practice. (POs 3, 5)
- Applies organizational and system leadership skills to affect systemic changes in corporate culture and to promote continuous improvement in clinical outcomes. (PO 6)
- Uses analytic methods to translate critically appraised research and other evidence into clinical scholarship for innovative practice improvements. (POs 3, 5)
- Appraises current information systems and technologies to improve health care. (POs 6, 7)
- Creates a supportive organizational culture for flourishing collaborative teams to facilitate clinical disease prevention and promote population health at all system levels. (PO 8)
- Leads others in professional identity, advanced clinical judgment, systems thinking, resilience, and accountability in selecting, implementing, and evaluating clinical care. (POs 1, 4)
This discussion enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
- Develop a comprehensive plan for communicating the results of the evaluation of the DNP project for determination of sustainability and replication. (PCs 1, 2, 3, 4; POs 5, 6)
- Use project management processes to implement the DNP project. (PCs 6 8; POs 4, 8)
Professional Support and Collaboration Essay Example
Week 3: Professional Support and Collaboration
The DNP degree program presented multiple challenges and opportunities for advancing my career. Navigating the program was not easy, and I needed guidance from experienced and existing educators and healthcare providers to complete the program and achieve the set objectives. The thoughtful and deliberate mentorship students receive during the DNP degree program is elemental to their DNP program and project success (Heitzler & Fullbright, 2021). I prioritized developing relationships with my preceptor, which extended beyond the clinical period and a nurse manager, who also worked as an educator for a local college while on my clinical. I depended on these individuals with experience to guide, teach, and inform my competencies.(Professional Support and Collaboration Essay Example)
The mentors possessed the essential knowledge I needed to understand the scope of the DNP-prepared nurse, expectations in the practice environment, and the importance of a DNP-prepared nurse to the healthcare systems. I also gained valuable insights into strategies to succeed in the DNP degree program and project design, development, implementation, and evaluation. These two individuals provided valuable feedback regarding my DNP project topic, offering perspectives on the project problem, its impact on the healthcare systems and patients, and implications for healthcare providers and organizations. These perspectives helped frame the project question, evidence search, and intervention selection to address the problem. I appreciate the time they took to answer my endless questions and guide me through the DNP project to completion.(Professional Support and Collaboration Essay Example)
The preceptor and the nurse manager have background qualifications in nursing; hence the collaboration was intraprofessional. The collaboration allowed a combination of essential knowledge and skills from both mentors to guide me through the program and project. I cannot play down their significance in my success in the DNP degree program. I essentially needed guidance to design, implement, and evaluate my project as I had previously imagined. My mentors helped assess the knowledge I possessed at the beginning of the program and before project implementation and helped develop objectives based on what I needed to build on. These individuals offered timely, thorough, and substantive feedback during my clinical and project to help grow my competencies, expertise, and skills to work as a professional DNP-prepared nurse.(Professional Support and Collaboration Essay Example)
Additionally, the intraprofessional collaboration was a knowledge pool informing on ideal traits and attributes required to be successful in a healthcare environment. I acquired extensive knowledge of patient populations and the clinical and project implementation site, helping align my goals and project purpose to the needs of the project implementation site. Moreover, the collaboration allowed me to learn about unforeseen challenges I can encounter as a DNP-prepared nurse and when planning, implementing, and evaluating a DNP project. Conclusively, the mentors helped me navigate the healthcare environment and the DNP program and project, contributing massively to my success.(Professional Support and Collaboration Essay Example
Heitzler, E. T., & Fullbright, G. M. (2021). The mentoring role for DNP projects. Women’s Healthcare. https://www.npwomenshealthcare.com/the-mentoring-role-for-dnp-projects/